2020 Reading Challenge
Baltimore County Public Library, in partnership with Baltimore Style and WBAL-TV, is challenging readers to explore new topics, formats, authors and genres with the 2020 #BWELLREAD Reading Challenge.
About the 12 Challenges
The library’s Collection Development team has compiled a list of 12 challenges that will get even the most ardent bibliophile out of their literary comfort zone. Try it yourself, with your children or share with a friend or book club! Need guidance or recommendations? Our library staff is always happy to help.
- January—Read the first book in a series.
- February—Forget romance, read a science fiction or mystery book!
- March—Read a book set in another country.
- April—Read a memoir by someone who has had to overcome adversity.
- May—Read a book with the word "and" in the title.
- June—Read a retelling of a fairy tale retold for teens or adults.
- July—Read a book with a one-word title.
- August—Read a biography of an artist, author or musician.
- September—Read something from the 800s section.
- October—Read a book featured on our New Next Week blog.
- November—Read a book that has your favorite color on the cover.
- December—Read something included in a “Year-End, Best-Of” list.
Share What You're Reading to Win Prizes
Each month, post a photo of the book you’re reading on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter that corresponds with the monthly challenge and tag it with #BWELLREAD. Two winners will be chosen at random on the last day of the month (or the first weekday if it falls on a weekend) and receive $25 Amazon gift cards. Don’t forget to make the post public so we can see it!
To submit your entry, visit Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and post or tweet "#BWELLREAD" along with a photo of yourself holding a book that corresponds with the monthly challenge . Camera-shy participants may post a photograph of the book they’ve chosen.
The photo and hashtag will together be referred to as an "entry." Photos must be in a format compatible with Facebook, Twitter or Instagram file format and size restrictions. Unlimited entries are permitted during the promotion, but only one prize will be awarded per account. Posts must be public or they will not be seen.
Entries must be received by 4 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the last business day of each month to be eligible for consideration. No correspondence about entries will be entered into, nor will entries be acknowledged as received. If all required information is not included, entries will be disqualified. The library is not responsible for late or incomplete entries.
By entering this promotion, the entrant gives his or her consent for the library to use photos for promotional and marketing purposes.
Two $25 Amazon gifts cards will be given away each month from January through December 2020. Winners will be randomly chosen at 5 p.m. on the last business day of each month.
- Eligibility: Anyone 18 years of age or older may enter to win. Employees of Baltimore County Public Library and their immediate family (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses or step of each) and household members of such employees are not eligible.
- Timing: The promotion starts at 9 a.m. on January 1, 2020 and ends at 5 p.m. on December 31, 2020.
- Notification: Winners will be notified via social media by the library. Arrangements must be made to pick up gift cards at one of our branches or at the Administrative Offices located at 320 York Road, Towson, Maryland 21204.